As we stand at the beginning of another year, it is tempting to get swept up in the narrative of “New Year. New You!” And all the changes you are going to “Make 2020 your best year yet!”.
Truth be told, it can get overwhelming really fast when you start to try to make big changes or change too many things at once. As someone who has transformed my own life and reinvented myself many times I can certainly attest to that!
What if there was ONE thing that you could focus on that would change EVERYTHING?
Well, there IS!
Before I tell you what it is, let me share some wisdom about how to set yourself up for success when making any change. These are some important things I have learned on my own journey and in helping hundreds of clients navigate their own life transformations:
1. Small steps taken consistently have the most lasting impact.
2. All change begins with a decision. Sustained change (transformation) requires making a commitment to stick with your decision and taking consistent, aligned action.
3. You have to have a strong why (Your reason for wanting to make the change). It is the fuel that will keep you moving forward even as the inevitable resistance to change arises.
4. The strongest why comes from a place of love, not fear. Most people make decisions from a place of fear (what they don’t want) vs Love (what excites and inspires them and what they truly desire). Most people are creating unconsciously and habitually from a place of fear
5. Self awareness is integral to connecting with your “inner GPS” – your built in navigation system – designed to guide you to your greatest joy and happiness.
6. You have to spend time with yourself to get to know yourself. If you don’t like who you are, it’s hard to be with yourself. If you have been led to believe you are flawed, undesirable, unworthy, undeserving or unlovable you will have a hard time being with yourself.
7. Self love is the foundation of a happy, fulfilling and successful life.
8. The world is a big mirror. The only way you can see yourself is in a mirror. The people and situations in your life are here to show you yourself. Your beliefs about yourself, others and life.
9. Your beliefs create your reality. What you believe about yourself, others and life will show up in the “mirror of your life” – i.e. – the situations circumstances and relationships you attract and create.
10. You can change your beliefs and your perspective. You can change your life.
11. There is ONE thing you can change, that changes EVERYTHING else: Your perspective on yourself – i.e. – How you see yourself (which is determined by what you believe about yourself)
How to make the SHIFT…
It all starts with self awareness.
How do you see yourself? What thoughts are you thinking? How do you feel about yourself? How do you treat yourself?
Once you become aware of what you have been doing, and the impact it is having, you have to be willing to shift your perspective on yourself and take actions that are aligned with that new perspective.
“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change” ~ Dr. Wayne Dyer
Scientific experiments in the field of Quantum Physics showed us that by observing matter, we change it. Our expectation of how something will behave, impacts how that thing behaves!
Here are some specific action steps you can take…
- See yourself through the eyes of love. What are your attributes? Make a list of your gifts talents, strengths, successes and accomplishments then take a few minutes to really steep yourself in the feelings it evokes.
- Whisper sweet nothings in your own ear. Compliment and encourage yourself often throughout the day.
- Treat yourself with kindness and respect. Do thoughtful little things for yourself. Look at the little acts of kindness you so readily do for others and do them for you too.
- Be generous with yourself. Treat yourself to a …nice meal, day off, movie, good book, warm bath, new outfit, massage, facial, vacation, etc.
- Leave yourself love notes. On your mirror, in your lunch box, in your car, on your refrigerator…
- Express your gratitude and appreciation to every part of your body today, as you soap yourself or apply lotion, brush your teeth, wash your face, comb your hair. Feel grateful for your body’s ability to walk, bend, exercise, lift, carry, touch, hug, etc.
We would love to hear how these tips and ideas have helped you –leave us a comment below…